A giant hogweed plant left a Virginia boy with second- and third-degree burns to his face and arms. The 17-year old is still recovering from the incident.
Alex Childress was working at his summer landscaping job on Tuesday noon in Fredericksburg, when he unknowingly chopped down a large hogweed, a dangerous plant with sap that can cause severe damage to the skin, according to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.
Childress, of Spotsylvania County, says the plant fell onto his face, but he thought nothing of the incident and carried the cut weed away under his right arm to throw it away. That night, however, teenager knew something was wrong when he took a shower.